Konichiwa!

Hello...I am Dracula! I bid you velcome!
(....Well, one of those statements is not entirely true...)

Thank you for stopping by "noms4noobs", your source for gamer grub of many varieties! I wanted a place where I could play with my food before playing with the guild, and show others how to do so as well.
Ever watch an anime and see the cute little Bento (or "Obento") boxes and think, "I wish I could make one..."
Ever look at your dry, ten cent ramen and wonder, "I wish this looked like nommy ramen on TV..."
Do you struggle with having ten minutes or less to make a meal that is mess free for easy gaming?
Are you tired of having your LAN parties being more like LAME parties?
Wonder where to eat when you leave the house?
Then you, my nerdy and or geeky friend, are in luck because you can now has the cheezburger and so much more!
I also want all these things to be fixed, and want to fix few of these things as well! So with my limited sense of humor and clear sense of taste I welcome you to a place where you can read, watch, and learn how to be 0083|2 1337 instead of a |\|008 when it comes to noms~!

Monday, December 5, 2011

How to Cook: Coffee Syrups/Lattes



The winter season is the time where all of your money disappears, hence why it is called "Magical", right?
I kid you, I love Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, "The Holidays", etc. Though most of my does money goes to gifts and hot drinks and soups. . .



A great way to save is to make your own coffee at home so you are not as tempted to spend it on Starbucks. Let's face it, we have all had a tea or coffee from that place. So how will you afford to buy all the awesome gifts for your family and friends this year if you are spending about $5 or more a day on drinks alone? Now you can't buy them the Han Solo Ice cube Tray, nerdy shirts, or new expansions to World of Warcraft and other games! Oh, the horror!
To help you with this problem, since I can't give out my own money (or lack-there-of)to you, I will help you make your own delicious drinks so you can save your own!


For this recipe you basically make a simple syrup and add the flavor you want to that.

Simple Syrup

What you will need:
-3/4 Cup White Sugar
-1 Cup Water
-Saucepan

You will also need an airtight sealable container, like a jar or Tupperware, and something to strain with, cheese cloth works the best. You can try a coffee filter, but that will take about 10 hours to do and will rip at the slightest bit pressure, trust me that you will want a cheesecloth or fine strainer instead.

I made three kinds of syrups when I did this.






Pumpkin Spice, Chocolate, and Peppermint/Candy Cane.








The pumpkin spice was inspired by Sugar Crafter, I tweaked it a bit but give her the credit for it, the others I made on my own.

You will add these ingredients to the Simple Syrup depending on what you want. You can add the ingredients depending on how strong you want it to taste, keep in mind it is supposed to be a concentrated syrup though.

Pumpkin Spice

- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Pumpkin Pie Filling
- A dash of Cinnamon, Clove, and Nutmeg
or

-1 1/2 Tablespoons Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Clove
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg

Chocolate

- 3-4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon ground Chocolate
(I used a cocoa with ground chocolate in it already)
- 1 Extra Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Peppermint/Candy Cane

- 1-2 Teaspoons Mint Extract
- 3 Teaspoons Candy Cane Candies
(Any type of candy that is flavored like peppermint/candy cane will do)


Directions

Add all of your ingredients to the sauce pan and set the burner on Medium-Low heat. Simmer the mixture. Do not let it boil or the sugar may burn. Continue stirring it for about 15 minutes, or until the sugar is integrated completely. We do not want any floating, undissolved sugar lingering at the bottom of the pan like treasure on the sea floor.

Turn off the heat and let the syrup set for a few minutes off of the burner. While that is sitting get out the strainer and secure it on your container.

Slowly pour your syrup through the container and let it drain into the jar. You will probably need to scrape the residue, aka reason for straining, off so that the syrup drains faster and does not clog.

Seal the container, as it sits it will get thicker. You can store this for about a month in the refrigerator.



The best way to prepare this is in a "Latte", which is really just Milk and a few shots of expresso or Strong Coffee. The weaker your coffee, the less milk you want to use.

I could not steam the milk, (if you can then great!) so instead I heated the milk, not letting it boil, and added it to the coffee. I used 2 shots of expresso and filled the rest of the mug with milk.

Then add about 2 Tablespoons of your syrup. Or more depending on how strong you want it to taste.

You can even make a Peppermint Mocha with the chocolate and peppermint combined, at least that's why I made those two.

Add Whipped Cream or some Frothy Milk to the top, if you have some, and enjoy!




You can even put it in a travel mug or those types that look like the cups they give you in Coffee Shops if you would like!















This is a great thing to make for yourself, to impress company, etc.

Really you can make any kind that you want to, just add what you like to the Simple Syrup and follow the instructions.

Also, if you are really trying to save money this year, not only can you make these to save for Christmas gifts but you can give it as a gift! Wowie!


Enjoying the noms of their labor,
-C.A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment